Amethyst - February's Birthstone
Posted on: 31/01/2019If you were born in February then you have the stunning Amethyst for your birthstone. With their bright violet colours, amethysts are said to be a symbol of peace, protection and tranquillity. Even though February is the shortest month of the year it’s certainly not short of celebration - Chinese New Year and Valentine’s Day both take place in the month of February.
It's no secret that each birthstone is completely unique. With individual meanings dating back to ancient times, special powers and different colours, it comes as no surprise that birthstones are a popular gift choice. If you know someone who's celebrating their birthday this month then why not surprise them with a beautiful amethyst jewellery piece?
The Colour of AmethystAs a variety of quartz, the colour of amethyst ranges from pale lilac to rich deep purple. The most precious stones are medium purple with rose-coloured flashes which give amethyst its beauty and fire. Although the purple amethyst is the most popular there are many shades to choose from depending on what the wearer may prefer.
Facts about Amethyst
- Ancient Egyptians believed that the amethyst could prevent poisoning, and Greek legend says that the amethyst also prevents intoxication
- Some say that the amethyst can cure insomnia, brings pleasant dreams, prevents baldness, improves complexion and increases intelligence
- Amethysts are much loved by royalty and can be seen in ornaments of the ancient Greeks, Egyptians and even in the British Crown Jewels
- Christian bishops would wear amethyst rings because the colour symbolises their commitment to Christ
- Amethysts are found in Brazil, Uruguay, Zambia and many other countries.
Get the Look with F.Hinds Amethyst Jewellery
9ct Gold Amethyst Teardrop Pendant and Chain
9ct Gold Amethyst Teardrop Stud Earrings
9ct Gold Amethyst Trilogy Ring, Exclusive to F.Hinds
9ct White Gold Trillion Amethyst Necklace
My Diamonds® Silver Amethyst and Diamond Flower Necklace, Exclusive to F.Hinds